The Pugster ‘Periwinkle’ Butterfly Bush, known by its botanical name Buddleia ‘SMNBDPT’ (and sold under the trade name Pugster Periwinkle® by Proven Winners), is a delightful addition to the Pugster series, which is revered for producing butterfly bushes with full-sized, plentiful blooms on compact, dwarf plants. Like its siblings in the Pugster series, Pugster Periwinkle® combines the hardiness and large flowers of traditional butterfly bushes with a space-saving habit.
Here are the features of the Pugster Periwinkle® Butterfly Bush:
– **Flowers:** This cultivar is notable for its large, dense panicles of periwinkle-blue flowers. The individual blooms are sizable and contribute to the lush, full appearance of the flower spikes. These charming blooms exude a sweet fragrance and last from early summer until the first frost, providing a prolonged display of color.
– **Foliage:** The foliage consists of sturdy, silvery-green leaves that offer an attractive contrast to the soft blue flowers, creating a visually pleasing plant even when not in full bloom.
– **Size:** Pugster Periwinkle® maintains a compact form, growing only about 2 feet tall and 2 to 3 feet wide, which makes it ideal for smaller garden spaces, urban gardens, and container planting.
– **Blooming Season:** Its blooming season spans from early summer through to frost, ensuring that gardeners can enjoy the beautiful blooms for an extended period.
– **Attracting Wildlife:** The nectar-rich flowers are magnets for butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees, making it an excellent choice for pollinator gardens or for those looking to increase the biodiversity of their outdoor space.
– **Care:** This variety is low-maintenance, requiring full sun and well-drained soil to thrive. It’s drought-resistant once established and does not require deadheading to keep the flowers coming.
– **Hardiness:** Hardy in USDA zones 5 through 9, Pugster Periwinkle® is robust and capable of withstanding both cold winters and hot summer weather.
Pugster Periwinkle® is particularly praised for its thick, sturdy stems that not only add to the plant’s hardiness, making it more resilient through the winter, but also support the weight of the blooms, preventing them from drooping. Its small size and ease of care make it a favorite among gardeners with limited space who desire the beauty of butterfly bush flowers without the larger size and maintenance requirements of traditional Buddleia varieties. This butterfly bush is a stunning choice for adding long-lasting color and a touch of whimsy to beds, borders, and pots.