The Pugster ‘Blue’ Butterfly Bush, botanically named Buddleia ‘SMNBDBT’ (sold under the trade name Pugster Blue® by Proven Winners), is another standout variety within the Pugster series, which is known for compact shrubs that carry full-size, vibrant blooms. This series is specifically bred to provide the traditional appeal of butterfly bushes but on plants that fit into smaller spaces.
Key characteristics of the Pugster ‘Blue’ Butterfly Bush include:
– **Flowers:** Pugster Blue® is admired for its large, dense panicles of true blue flowers. The blooms are honey-scented and present a striking appearance against the foliage. Each individual flower is a sizeable, showy floret that contributes to the overall lush look of the flower spikes.
– **Foliage:** The shrub has sturdy, silver-green leaves that provide a complementary backdrop to the vivid blue flowers. The foliage is thick and adds to the plant’s full appearance even when it is not in bloom.
– **Size:** True to the Pugster brand, ‘Blue’ maintains a dwarf form, growing to about 2 feet in height with a spread of 2 to 3 feet. Its small stature makes it highly versatile in the landscape.
– **Blooming Season:** It blooms continuously from early summer until the first frost, offering a long-lasting display of color and a consistent food source for pollinators throughout the growing season.
– **Attracting Wildlife:** The flowers are not only beautiful but also fragrant and rich in nectar, attracting butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds.
– **Care:** Pugster Blue® is considered low maintenance. It thrives in full sun, requires well-drained soil, and is drought-tolerant once established. Unlike traditional butterfly bushes, it doesn’t need to be pruned frequently and will still produce abundant blooms.
– **Hardiness:** This plant is winter hardy in USDA zones 5 through 9, showing a robust tolerance to cold winters and hot summers alike.
The Pugster series, including Pugster Blue®, is noted for its ability to produce the same large, full blooms as larger Buddleia varieties on a dwarf plant. This characteristic makes it especially valuable for gardeners who have limited space but do not want to compromise on the size and quality of the butterfly bush flowers. Its thick stems also ensure better winter survival compared to some other dwarf butterfly bushes, resulting in reliable spring regrowth. Pugster Blue® is ideal for small garden beds, borders, and even as a standout container specimen.