The Pugster ‘Amethyst’ Butterfly Bush, scientifically known as Buddleia ‘SMNBDL’ (marketed under the trade name of Pugster Amethyst® by Proven Winners), is part of the Pugster series—known for their short, stocky frame and large, full blooms. This series, including Pugster Amethyst®, is characterized by its unique combination of a dwarf bush structure with the large, typical panicles of flowers that attract pollinators.
Here are the distinctive traits of the Pugster ‘Amethyst’ Butterfly Bush:
– **Flowers:** Pugster Amethyst® is celebrated for its thick, dense panicles of bright amethyst-purple flowers. Each bloom is a full-sized, plush cluster, and the individual flowers are larger than what is typically expected from a dwarf butterfly bush. The large flowers maintain their color throughout the blooming season and are especially attractive to butterflies and other pollinators.
– **Foliage:** It has broad, sturdy leaves that are a silvery-green to green in color, which create a nice contrast against the vibrancy of the flowers.
– **Size:** This is a dwarf variety, which grows to be about 2 feet tall and 2-3 feet wide. Its compact nature makes it suitable for small gardens, borders, or as a foundational plant in a landscape design.
– **Blooming Season:** Pugster Amethyst® blooms from early summer through the fall, with a continuous supply of nectar-rich blooms throughout the season.
– **Attracting Wildlife:** Its fragrant flowers are excellent for attracting an array of pollinators, including butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds.
– **Care:** The plant is easy to grow and low maintenance. It thrives in full sun and requires well-drained soil. It’s drought-resistant once established and doesn’t require deadheading to keep blooming.
– **Hardiness:** Pugster Amethyst® is known for being winter hardy in USDA zones 5 through 9 and has a good tolerance for the heat of summer as well.
A key feature of the Pugster series is their ability to produce full-sized blooms on dwarf plants. This attribute is particularly evident in Pugster Amethyst®, with its striking purple blooms that offer visual impact without the space requirements of larger butterfly bush varieties. Its ability to produce well in small spaces, as well as its less frequent pruning requirements, makes it a popular choice for those who have limited gardening space but still desire the beauty and pollinator benefits of Buddleia.